Rescue Ranch began its foster care program in October 2015. Our long-term goal is that the Foster Dog Program will play an integral part in our ability find loving homes for rescue dogs and help Siskiyou County reach the goal of a “no-kill” county.
How the program works
Volunteers work with shelter staff and the Foster Program Coordinator to determine which dogs are most in need of foster care. As an approved foster parent, you’ll receive emails from the Foster Dog Coordinator providing a brief description of those dogs needing foster homes. When you see a dog that might be a good match for your household and lifestyle, you simply contact Rescue Ranch and the fostering process will begin.
The Foster Program Coordinator will contact you to provide more information. They will coordinate with you and the Rescue Ranch shelter staff and determine if the dog is a good match. They will also arrange a meeting between you (and your own dog if applicable) and the foster dog. Rescue Ranch will provide you with all the necessary supplies for fostering, support you throughout the entire process, and will be available to address any questions or concerns.
Reasons to foster
Fostering is a wonderful experience for you and your family – you can feel good knowing you have helped save a dog’s life. Even better, you’ve created space in the shelter to accommodate other homeless dogs. Foster dogs provide companionship and purpose – your act of kindness is repaid in rewards that are beyond words.
Dogs needing foster homes
- Neglected or abused dogs that need tender loving care. Injured dogs and/or those recovering from surgery.
- Dogs suffering from “shelter stress” in need of a calming home environment.
- Older or senior dogs that will be more comfortable in a home environment.
- Puppies and young dogs that require more socialization than available at the shelter. Puppies too young and/or immature to be adopted.
- Dogs with colds or with special medical needs.
- Abandoned mothers with litters of puppies.
- Any dog when the shelter becomes overcrowded.
Questions? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Fill out the application below.